Best of CEDIA 2018
Brian Moseley, our Director of Technology, has recently returned from CEDIA 2018 in San Diego with a wealth of knowledge about what’s new on the horizon for technology. We sat down with Brian to learn about new products and features and he has highlighted a few of his top picks.
Universal Remote Control had the unveiling of the new processor models: MRX15 and MRX30
- The MRX15 has a faster processor and increased memory and replaces the MRX10.
- The MRX30 can be used for managing more jobs and this quad-core processor won TWICE as the “Best of Show” at CEDIA 2018. This powerful new Total Control 2.0 network system processor is perfect for your residential and commercial installations, allowing you to manage more…and at a faster pace!
- Tabletop Controller – The new TDC-9100 10” incorporates a new interface and larger keypad and has added built-in Audio/Video intercom features for room-to-room communication.
- Touchscreen Keypad – The new TKP-9600 10” in-wall touchscreen keypad is an improved version of the TKP-7600 and also adds the room-to-room communication feature.
- New vertical rack power strips with IP control
Coming soon – WattBox IP vertical power strips #CEDIAexpo
Posted by Snap AV on Friday, September 7, 2018
Refreshed their Veranda series of outdoor weatherproof televisions. New features include:
- IP control
- 4K UHD Screen with LED backlight for up to 50% more brightness than indoor Televisions
- Durable aluminum case protects against rain, snow, extreme temperatures, dust, salt, and insects
- Built-in Speaker level outputs for better sound
- Thinner models
- Generous Media Bay for popular streaming devices (RoKu, Apple TV, etc.)
- The new Monitor Amps look amazing!
- Rack mount power amps, integrated amps, and multi-channel amps
New SONY Televisions are hot off the press and available this Fall. This new line from SONY had people stopping in their tracks on the Showroom floor. If you are on the quest for the best 4K TV, look no further! These new televisions include:
Bravia Masters Series TV
- 4K powered by a new X1 Ultimate image processor
- Object-based HDR remastering and super resolution
- Teamed up with Netflix for a new calibrated mode that will recreate the ideal settings for the streaming service’s content.
OLED A9F Features:
- Available in 55″ and 65″
- Sport Acoustic Surface Speaker
- 3.2 Speaker Setup with new center actuator and another Subwoofer Channel behind the display, along with the existing two
- LED-based Z9F featuring SONY’s X-Wide Angle Technology
- X-Motion Clarity; new version of the post-processing technology for smoother image quality.
- Available in 65″ and 75″
- SONY has done a Projector model refresh
- New native 4K projectors this year with absolute pixel for pixel 4K playback
- The “Star of the Show” is the VPL-VW870ES and uses a laser diode lighting system (rather than the usual projection lamp), which generates a peak light output of 2,200 lumens
We introduced you to Josh.AI last year, and this product has really evolved since then. At CEDIA 2018 Josh.AI showcased the latest developments in machine learning and product integrations. With all of these new integration features, it makes Josh a heavy hitter and hard to beat in this industry.
Here are some new features:
- New 3.0 App is designed with a strong focus on Artificial Intelligence.
- More personalized safety, security, energy management, and entertainment control.
- First home control interface that actively utilizes machine learning based off of user-specific living patterns.
- Can now make suggestions based on time of day and usage data, alongside other user-orientated suggestions.
- Designable to use a “day” and “night” color scheme
- Has greater remote troubleshooting to help simplify both the installer and client’s experience.
- Ability to communicate to Josh a string of multiple commands and have Josh execute them flawlessly is unmatched in this industry.
- Ability to route audio and video in the home with while still benefiting from the company’s proprietary natural language processing.
- Moving beyond scene-based voice commands, the Josh platform now can offer native support of audio and video distributed matrix switchers from manufacturers including Onkyo, Sonos, Heos, Sony, Barco, and Crestron (DM and SWAMP).
- Integration with Savant sees the Josh ecosystem now supports Control4, Crestron and Savant, with further integration with Crestron and its Pyng platform has been announced.
- New SONOS Amp is a home-audio hub that powers traditionally wired speakers with signals from nearly any source
- Fully integrating those speakers into the SONOS wireless home-audio system
- Twice as powerful as its predecessor (Connect:Amp) with the ability to power up to four speakers with 125 watts per channel
- Designed perfectly to fit into standard AV racks used by custom installers
- Compatible with AirPlay 2 and users can wirelessly stream music and other audio from any iOS device
- Updates to the SONOS platform make it easy for installers to incorporate the SONOS Amp into integrated smart-home setups, which includes smart lighting and centralized control systems
- Control can be obtained using voice commands to an Amazon Alexa device, SONOS One, or Beam
This year Coastal Source is adding some new features in both their Lighting and Audio product lines. One of the most “ear-catching” things at CEDIA 2018 was the Coastal Source booth. The company had duel sound demos, both inside on the Showroom floor and on the street outside the San Diego Convention Center.
- The 12.0 Line Array Bollard speakers were the anchor of the company’s booth, blasting their dominant sound. These massive speakers stand 54″ high and 12″ in diameter, weighing a whopping 88 pounds a piece! Each speaker features twelve 3″ ribbon tweeters, six mid-range 4″ woofers and a 10″ laminate cone subwoofer. The units handle 1,000 watts of power and can be freestanding or partially buried, with a 100-foot audio range.
- The 18.0 Bollard sub is designed to be buried just below the grille and has a 15″ subwoofer in a 4th order bandpass enclosure that produces a frequency response down to 30Hz-100Hz. This sub is 37″ high, 18″ in diameter, weighs 84 pounds, and has 600W of maximum power handling, and a 360-degree dispersion.
- Merged Audio and Video engineering skills in the Ellipse Bollard speaker, using RGBW lighting for color changes. Customers are able to set the Bollard to rotate through various colors, or set a static color as desired.
- The MR16 and MR11 Landscaping lights can now be retrofitted with colored RGBW lamps for customized color.
- New contemporary Hinge Lighting has a space-age look to it with anodized aluminum, standing 29″ tall and features a 3.5W replaceable LED lamp module. These lamps can be downward facing for pathway lighting or hinged upward as a wall wash or uplight trees and foliage.
While it’s hard to see all the products unveiled at CEDIA 2018, these are the ones that caught our attention. Continue to watch for more information regarding these products and tips on total home integration.